
This card is for CASology's cue word of PET. There will be many cats, dogs and fish but few, if any, seahorses. This is a true story. At the age of 19 I moved from Portland, Oregon to Los Angeles. A high school friend moved to Minneapolis and became a stewardess (politically correct in the 1960's) for Northwest Airlines. On my birthday my friend sent me a package containing seahorses. Really. I think there were two seahorses, or maybe one. One day when I returned home from work there were now several seahorses. The female seahorse deposits the eggs into the male's pouch and he expels them. The babies emerge fully developed but less than 0.5% survive. Such is the case in less than a week, as memory serves me, there were no more seahorses. In searching seahorses on Google I also learned there are dwarf seahorses found in the Bahamas and I am guessing that is where they were purchased. My seahorses were tiny and quite the conversation piece.
Lucky me had a seahorse stamp set thanks to SU! First I stamped the background and then stamped the seahorse in pigment ink. My first attempt was bronze but it was too light so I chose this lovely blue. The seahorse (which is a fish) was heat embossed. Next I trimmed the card front and scored two lines beneath the image. Lastly I mounted this piece onto a second piece of white card stock. Apologies if the light is poor but here in sunny Southern California there has been little if any sun for a few days, reminds me of the lovely grey Oregon sky.
Stamp set: SU! By the Sea
Ink: SU! Coastal Cabana, Color Box (pigment) Harbor
Other: clear embossing powder, score-pal, white card stock, mounting tape
Because I chose not to use a dog stamp I did want to post a picture of our dog Ginger. She is a terrier mix and looks like Sandy from Annie fame. We rescued her as a pup and the vet said she would probably be about 30 pounds. Wrong. Ginger is 45 pounds and to strong for me to take her for a walk. She is a great pet and very smart.
.jpg)
I love your card and what a great story. And ginger is so cute. We also have a ginger but she is only about 8 pounds.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely story and an equally lovely card. Thank you so much for joining us this week at CASology
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet dog! She's so adorable! So is your card! Love that little seahorse!
ReplyDeleteBeautifully CAS card - love how the text looks like waves! So glad you joined us at CASology this week!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great story, Barb ... I loved seahorses when I was a child, they always seemed so magical ... you card captures that so beautifully! Anita :)
ReplyDeleteThis is so beautiful. I love your design.
ReplyDeleteWow, what a cool thing to send a friend for her birthday! Seahorses!?! Very cool! Too bad they didn't live...a very unique gift, for sure! I love your card, such pretty colors and great score lines in all that white space. Thanks for joining us at CASology this week!
ReplyDeleteThis is so perfect, the idea of text BG is amazing, gives the feel of water :)
ReplyDeleteBefore I forget, thank you for sharing Ginger! She really does look just like Sandy!! I love your seahorse card, Barb! I had seahorses for pets, too, when I was in middle school. I remember them like it was yesterday and how cool it was that the male carried the babies. But like your experience, I never had any babies survive and that was sad. Is it even legal anymore? I never see those ads in the backs of magazines for them like there were back in the "day." Thanks for the memories!! Hugs, Darnell
ReplyDeleteI did not know all those facts about sea horses, and they are certainly one of the more unusual pets out there. Sorry to hear how short lived yours were. Your card is superbly balanced, and congratulations for your HM this past week. I am playing catch up, as you can see. Your doggy is just adorable. Such a sweet heart, and how great that she is a rescue dog (like mine).
ReplyDeleteSuch a fabulous card and I loved your story about the seahorses. Your sweet dog is so cute too.
ReplyDelete