Saturday, August 15, 2015

CASology: Week 159 AQUATIC



My card making group has been anxiously awaiting the opening of the newest Hobby Lobby and it opens on Monday. But a new big box store in the neighborhood means the smaller businesses close. Once-thriving stamping stores in our area have closed their doors and that is very sad.  The local store I frequented for two years wanted to sell their business and retire but the property owner did not want a craft store in middle of the resort town. Dumb. People came from all over Southern California to buy products, take classes and frequent all the neighbor stores.
 I try to give some of my business to local merchants. Recently I was out of my area and went to a once thriving stamp store in another county. At one time it was in a good location and occupied  two store fronts, then they moved and changed their merchandise to suit the scrapbooker, and now they have moved back to their former location but smaller in size. Their products are a mishmash of items and they had few stamps but I did find this fish stamp and thought it would be fun to watercolor. The writing is on the wall that this stamp store will close its doors also.
I heat embossed the image and used distress ink and markers and an aqua pen. I put glossy accents on the bubbles. After embossing the top layer I die cut the center and put the three layers together. I stamped the sentient and gave it a "fish tail" trimming.

Stamps - Impression Obsession "Round Fish E1632", PTI "Happy For You"
Embossing Folder - Cuttlebug "Spots & Dots"
Die Cut - MFT "Pierced Circle"
Other - VersaFine, Distress Ink and Pens, Glossy Accents
Paper - PTI 



10 comments:

  1. Love how the embossing looks like bubbles in the water! So glad you joined us at CASology this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great embossing folder to use with this cute fish! It's a shame to see the little specialty stores close.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous colouring on that fish stamp and I love the embossed background. Thanks for playing along with CASology this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about the smaller stores. I try to do my bit, and buy a few things whenever I am in the neighborhood of Paper Tales in Point Loma. This fish card is adorable, and I love how you have paired it with that bubbly texture. Thanks for playing along at CASology this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool embossing, Barb ... beautifully mimics the bubbles from that fabulously coloured fish! Love the 'fish tail' sentiment panel! What a shame about the closure of local stores ... there's always something a little different to find in them than in the big chains. There aren't any of either around here, sadly ... oh to pick up and touch before buying! Hugs, Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad about all the smaller stamping/scrapbooking stores. It's the same here in Northern California and very sad that most if not all have closed their doors. But I do love the sweet fish you found, it makes for a fabulous card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is sad about the stores.... I buy local too and in person and all the stores I want to stay in business. So tough these days. Lovely watercoloring image, I agree.

    Thanks for joining us at CASology, I ADORE it when you do!!! I get so INSPIRED!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How sweet of you Kimberly. You amaze me with your versatility and creativeness. ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hear you regarding the local stores! We've had a couple different ones come and go here in town and it is so sad! They hardly have a chance once the bigger stores arrive! :(
    Love this fish image. It looks like it is peeking at us from a fish bowl! :) The embossing design goes so well with it & I love the added touch of the fish tail trim! ;)
    Thanks so much for joining us over at CASology, Barb!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barb, based on the comments above it seems that the little craft shops are having trouble staying open all over. Same is true here in New Jersey...I can only think of one that was open for a few months, if that, then it closed. I love that you support them and I love this fish! Very cool dry embossing (I have a feeling you knew I would like it!). Thanks for joining us at CASology, as always it is great to see your entries!

    ReplyDelete