This card is being submitted to CAS Mix Up Card Challenge for August. I love using stencils and this is probably one of my favorite cards. Not only did I use the stencil but also brushos and a spray of water, but I also stamped and heat embossed. Heat embossing is also one of my favorite supplies and I keep my heat gun on my work table and the embossing powder within arm's reach. This stamp is from Michael's in a new stamp set that also includes a stencil (not this one) and some designs. What makes this card special to me is that I made it for my husband for our anniversary, a big whopping 49 years.

Stamp - Water - Brushos - Heat Embossing - Stencil
Stencil - Artplorations Leaf Print
Stamp - Michael's (name unknown)
Other - WC paper, Brushos, bling, VersaFine, embossing powder, black cardstock
Below I have attached our wedding photo. Not only was I wearing a mini dress and fishnet hose but I love the Capezio Mary Jane's. What I want to point out is that in this photo I have relatively slender legs but now my legs are large, not because of weight but because of a somewhat unknown condition called Lymphedema.
Eleven years ago I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma and had a lymph node removed and five weeks of radiation. I went on with my life. Then this past year a friend told me she thought I might have lymphedema and not veinous insuffiency which the doctor said I had. To shorten the story a second doctor put me in a Lymphatic Physical Therapy program at Scripps LaJolla. I had seven weeks of therapy and now have special garments to wear. I try to use the pool several times a week. Why am I telling you this? Because few people know of this condition nor do doctors. The lymphatic system is given little attention in medical school. Millions, I repeat millions of people have lymphedema. Many women who have had breast cancer have lymphedema and wear a garment on their arm. Fortunately lymphedema now has a spokesperson who is working hard to raise monies for research - Kathy Bates. When I saw a show with Kathy speaking about her cancer I was elated and grateful for her coming forward. Honestly I am the lucky one as many people have it much worse than I. My legs are both swollen but symetrical as some people have one leg normal and one very large. I need to be careful I don't injure my legs as this could lead to an infection. Anyhow I just thought I would share this with you so that I could do my one small part in bringing awareness to Lymphedema. Thank you.


Happy anniversary, Barb! What a pretty bride! And I love the card you made for your husband! The colors and design are perfect! Thanks for the info about Lymphedema. I'd never heard of it and I'm glad that attention is being paid to it. With attention comes treatments and cure. Thanks so much for sharing this with us at CAS Mix Up!
ReplyDeleteHi Babs. First of all ... congrats on your upcoming anniversary. 49 years --- that is something to celebrate. So happy for you both. And thanks for sharing the info about lymphedema. I have never heard of it before, but awareness is the key to catching these things early. Knowledge is good ... so thanks for that too. I hope you are doing well and that your physio has made it more comfortable for you.
ReplyDeleteOn to the card ... very special indeed. Your hubby is going to love this ... especially the colours of those fantastic brushos. Great job and thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up! xx
Beautiful card, Barb! I did a lot of Brushos with stencils and water at the Retreat and just love the look of that technique! I also love your sweet wedding photo! Thank you for sharing about your lymphedema to help spread the word. I'm so glad you are now on the right track and doing well! Hugs, Darnell xxoo
ReplyDeleteThere I was thinking what a cool, stylish, masculine card this is, Barb ... and then read on to find it's Cal's anniversary card ... how perfect, it's a stunner! Many congratulations to you both ... that wedding photo is just delicious! Thanks for sharing about lymphedaema ... I'm so pleased you were able to get PT and it's now controlled. Hugs to you, my friend, Anita :)
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary...49 years is amazing, congratulations! Your cards is so beautiful, just like your sweet photo. So happy to hear that you are doing well and keeping your condition under control, sending hugs and prayers your way!
ReplyDeleteLove the simplicity of the stenciled and sprayed background with the black sentiment. Thanks for joining us at CAS Mix Up.
ReplyDelete